Monday, October 17, 2011

Response to Comment...

So...I tried to respond to a comment on my blog last week by commenting on my own blog, but alas, Blogger wouldn't let me. Very bizarre. So instead, I'm adding it as my post for the week!

The question by my commenter was if I felt that I got any benefit from sharing my writing with my students. The answer is of course YES!! I think whoever it was that made that comment misunderstood my reflection...maybe thought that our partnership was the only time I had exchanged writing with a student? I'm not sure, but I'll clarify.
I write with my students all the time! I think it is really important for me to write with the students for a number of reasons. First, I think that teachers should always do the writing assignments they assign because then they will truly know if it is a worthwhile assignment and how best to help students with the assignment. Second, it is crucial to model all assignments, particularly writing assignments, for students. It also helps make the invisible part of writing visible for them. I also like sharing my writing with the students because it makes them feel more comfortable sharing their own writing with others.
What I meant by my post is that I because I have my students about three of their four years of high school, is that sometimes I take who they are as people and what I know about them and their strengths/weaknesses as writers too much into consideration when I read their writing. While there is definitely value in knowing my students so well, it can also cause me to lose perspective at times in what I should expect from them and their writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment